Connect with us

Politics

Boris Johnson’s ‘Cheeky Chappy’ Act Failing as Conservative Support Dwindles Over Crisis

Published

on

boris-johnson’s-‘cheeky-chappy’-act-failing-as-conservative-support-dwindles-over-crisis

Boris Johnson’s ‘cheeky chappy’ approach to managing political crises is failing Brexit leader Farage said, as Tory support for the Prime Minister begins to seriously wane amid the growing lockdown-busting party scandal.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson is under pressure from all sides over the most recent allegations regarding lockdown breaking gatherings at Downing Street in 2020.

While seemingly having managed to survive previous iterations of the controversy, a recently leaked email inviting those in Downing Street to come to a “bring your own booze” garden gathering in 2020 has proven more difficult to dismiss for the Prime Minister.

According to a report from The Telegraph, a number of Conservative party politicians have now warned that Johnson must resign his position as PM if it is the case that he broke lockdown rules.

“You cannot put in place these rules, you cannot be the head of the Government that is asking people to follow these rules and then breaking those rules yourself,” said Douglas Ross, the leader of the Scottish Conservative Party.

“If the Prime Minister has misled parliament, then he must resign,” Ross meanwhile told Sky News.

He’s Sorry Now! Boris Johnson Apologizes for Joining Lockdown Garden Party https://t.co/yPpZptuuiS

— Breitbart London (@BreitbartLondon) January 12, 2022

“I want to apologise. I know that millions of people have made extraordinary sacrifices”

Prime Minister Boris Johnson apologies to public after attending party held at No 10 during lockdown#PMQs https://t.co/HUp5JDSfRU pic.twitter.com/XJx8Ra1hZ2

— BBC News (UK) (@BBCNews) January 12, 2022

Mr Johnson apologised in the Commons Chamber Wednesday afternoon, saying he believed when he met with colleagues in the garden of Downing Street he didn’t realise it was a party and thought it was a work meeting. Remarking that he didn’t support the claims that rules had been broken, nevertheless the Prime Minister accepted that: “I should have recognised that even if it could be said technically to fall within the guidance, there would be millions and millions of people who would not see it that way.”

Despite the apology, it is not clear that Johnson’s words will be enough to rebuild trust. A number of Conservatives and British political actors have expressed concern over Johnson’s continued leadership.

“If the inquiry or the Metropolitan Police find that the alleged activities were illegal and that the PM knew this, or was involved, then I think he should consider his position,” said Derek Thomas MP

“I can’t see how anybody who organised a party or willingly chose to attend one can stay in any position where they’re setting COVID policy,” said Nigel Mills, another Tory party MP.

Scottish Conservative leader Douglas Ross has demanded Boris Johnson ‘just answer the question’ about whether he attended an alleged ‘bring your own booze’ event in Downing Street in May 2020.

Full story here: https://t.co/1FJYYpcUWY pic.twitter.com/kSsRv1Cq1B

— Sky News (@SkyNews) January 11, 2022

Arch-Brexiteer Nigel Farage has also criticised the PM’s handling of the crisis, as well as Johnson’s general relationship with the truth.

“That cheeky chappy approach just isn’t working anymore,” Farage said in a video posted online before the Prime Minister’s qualified apology on Wednesday, continuing: “From the start of party-gate Boris has been evasive, but [with] this one… they’re bang to rights,”

“I don’t believe Boris Johnson can survive the year because I think the party will get a mauling in the May local elections in England,” the Brexit leader said.

Labour has also mounted pressure on Johnson to resign, with the left-wing party’s deputy leader, Angela Rayner, saying that, if it is the case that Johnson broke lockdown rules, his position is “untenable”.

“The prime minister cannot break the law, lie to the British public and not be held to account for that,” the BBC reports Rayner as saying.

Boris Govt Facing Potential Police Probe and Political Disaster Over Lockdown Breaking Boozy Bashhttps://t.co/nLRKHB3ZSa

— Breitbart London (@BreitbartLondon) January 11, 2022

While the Johnson administration has been under sustained fire during the past number of months over alleged lockdown breaking gatherings that may have occurred in Downing Street, this recent controversy seems to be posing the most serious threat to the Johnson premiership.

Sparked by a leaked email published by British broadcaster ITV, the scandal involves accusations that Johnson knew about an alleged lockdown breaking gathering organised by his private secretary Martin Reynolds.

“After what has been an incredibly busy period we thought it would be nice to make the most of the lovely weather and have some socially distanced drinks in the No10 garden this evening,” read Reynolds email, asking people to attend the gathering.

“Please join us from 6pm and bring your own booze!” the email continued.

According to the broadcaster, around 40 staff, along with the Prime Minister and his now-wife, attended the gathering, despite government advice at the time being that Britons should not meet more than one other person from a different household, and should do so in an outdoor, public place while remaining two metres apart from said person.

Johnson is now facing a potential police probe over the issue, with the London Met saying that it is in contact with the Cabinet Office regarding the allegations.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Politics

Report: Detroit Man Accused of Setting Fire to Girlfriend Pregnant with Twins Bonds Out for $5,000

Published

on

report:-detroit-man-accused-of-setting-fire-to-girlfriend-pregnant-with-twins-bonds-out-for-$5,000

A 41-year-old Detroit man accused of setting fire to his girlfriend, who is pregnant with twins, has bonded out of a Wayne County jail for just $5,000 after posting ten percent of his $50,000 bond, according to a report.

“Police said Devonne Marsh got into an argument with his girlfriend at their Detroit home off Packard and Outer Drive last Friday, Jan. 14, and he doused her with lighter fluid before setting her on fire,” WJBK reports.

According to the latest reporting from the outlet:

Devonne Marsh was released from the Wayne County Jail Friday morning. According to documents with the jail, he was released from custody just before 11:20 a.m. on Friday. He’s now out on bond with multiple conditions including no weapons, no drug use, and is ordered not to go to their shared apartment.

However, FOX 2 has learned that Marsh has a hold in Macomb County for other charges so while he’s posted bail in Wayne County, he is not currently free.

A man charged with setting his girlfriend – who was 6 months pregnant with twins – on fire, there was shock that his bond was set as low as $50,000 with 10%. Now, for just $5,000, he’s made bail. https://t.co/8PHFtDRtEY

— FOX 2 Detroit (@FOX2News) January 21, 2022

At about 10:40 on January 14, Detroit Police received a tip “that a woman was being held against her will and tortured,” according to WDIZ. At the scene, officers said they found the 26-year-old pregnant woman, with severe burns to her legs and stomach, lying on a bed in the basement of the home. Officers said she could hardly move.

The 26-year-old is in critical condition with burns to 60 percent of her body, and “It’s not yet known if her babies will survive,” WJBK reports. She is six and a half months pregnant.

“How do you do this to another human being? I can’t – it’s unimaginable,” Commander Michael McGinnis of the Detroit Police Department told WJBK. 

“Just incredibly traumatic injuries, I did see pictures and I mean the pain that she must be suffering – I can’t imagine,” he said. 

 Marsh, 41, was arrested and is charged with “kidnapping/abduction, aggravated/felonious assault and violation of the controlled substance act,” according to WDIZ.

He is a parole absconder with a lengthy rap sheet according to WJBK, including previous charges for guns, assault, and drugs.

“Marsh pleaded guilty in Macomb County Circuit Court to four counts of delivering more than 50 grams of cocaine in 2019 and was sentenced to two years probation,” Macomb Daily reports.

The victim had been too scared to report the abuse she was enduring, and Heaven of Oakland County CEO Aimee Nimeh told WJBK that victims often fear retaliation from their abusers when speaking up.

“Fear is part of the relationship and so absolutely there is fear of retaliation,” Nimeh explained.

She added that victims are often frightened by low bonds.

“The court system can be very overwhelming; the process can be complicated,” she said. “It’s not just that court is a little scary, it’s also that what happens next with that assailant that might be coming out, that might be walking free. How do you stay safe in that situation?”

McGinnis previously said he had hoped Marsh, who ended up making bond, remained in custody.

“We just hope that he remains in custody through the trial process so that the victim can heal without the fear of any kind of retribution from him,” McGinnis said.

Continue Reading

Politics

Wilson: GOP Wants 2024 to Be Last Election — Like the Ba’ath Party in Iraq

Published

on

wilson:-gop-wants-2024-to-be-last-election-—-like-the-ba’ath-party-in-iraq

Lincoln Project founder Rick Wilson said Friday on MSNBC’s “The ReidOut” that the Republican Party wanted the 2024 presidential election to be the last election in America.

Wilson said, “They’re trying to throw so much friction into voting and all the sand into the machine, especially in communities they don’t feel will be reliable voters for them. So they are not going to bitch and moan about early voting in a red county. ”

He continued, “This is exactly the kind of mechanism that proto authoritarian states and authoritarian states set up. They want to say who can vote, when they can vote, how they can vote, when the votes are counted. They want to have a veto of the vote count at the end. They want to also say they can bring criminal sanctions and try to intimidate people who are trying to go out and register voters. They want to bring criminal sanctions with these organizations. You know who enforces the law? State attorneys enforce the law. They don’t need an election police force. This is a tool of intimidation. And it is frankly a sign again. They don’t want elections. They would like 2024 to be the last election. They want to be like the Ba’ath Party in Iraq. They have a thing called elections, and the dear leader gets 117% of the vote.”

Follow Pam Key on Twitter @pamkeyNEN

Continue Reading

Politics

GETTR: Leaked Texts Suggest Miles Guo Is Jason Miller’s Boss, Tells Him What to Do

Published

on

gettr:-leaked-texts-suggest-miles-guo-is-jason-miller’s-boss,-tells-him-what-to-do

Tech

Jason Miller



 By Jack Hadfield


 January 21, 2022 at 9:21pm


Leaked WhatsApp messages between Jason Miller and Miles Guo suggests Guo has far more influence over GETTR than previously claimed.

Speaking to Tim Pool on Wednesday, Miller, the CEO of the “free speech” social media network GETTR, was quizzed about his relationship with exiled Chinese billionaire Miles Guo. GETTR was based on a nearly identical platform called Getome, then renamed Getter, which was hosted by Guo’s GTV, before it was relaunched as GETTR in July of 2021.

When asked, Miller said that while Guo does not have “a direct financial or leadership role within the company,” he admitted that “one of the firms that’s invested in [GETTR] has a heavy influence from Miles’s family foundation.” Miller stated that while he does “get ideas and hears things from Miles… he is not [his] boss.”

However, leaked WhatsApp messages acquired by leftist news outlet Mother Jones suggest that Guo does actually have a lot more influence than Miller claimed. The messages between Miller and Guo center around Joe Rogan’s remarks earlier this month.

On his podcast, Rogan labelled GETTR as being “fugazi,” for combining Twitter and GETTR follower counts together, something the site has now reversed.

In the exchange, which included audio messages from Guo and texts from Miller, Miller said the situation was not good, but that he had attempted to smooth things over with Rogan’s producer.

“It’s just a misunderstanding. There is no problem Jason,” Guo said in an audio message, “Joe Rogan is a big help to us. We are friend. We don’t want to do any bad things to this guy. We need to respect him. Just…explain to him what happened… We solve the misunderstanding… We must keep it gentleman-style. No fight back. We are friends. We need to respect him,” Guo continued, arguably giving Miller instructions.

“Exactly,” Miller replied. “I was very humble when I spoke with his producer yesterday.”

“That’s why I love you. You’re a 100 percent gentlemen,” Guo said. “You’re the super gentleman. That’s why you have the extremely enemy. Miles Guo is too many enemy, Steve Bannon too many enemy. We are easy create the enemy. That’s our trouble… We need to learn from you… That’s why you good CEO in GETTR. Thank you very much I learn a lot.”

Due to Guo’s broken English, the last sentence in the second message is harder to decipher, but can potentially be transcribed as follows: “Thank you for the GETTR, you sacrifice your patience and you are a big benefit for me and to GETTR,” lending more credence to the idea that Guo has control over the site.

The message exchange seemed to be initially private between Miller and Guo, but was forwarded on by Guo to a group chat of around 20 people:

“Regarding Joe Rogan, last night, we discussed with Jason to display the number of followers separately: GETTR followers and total followers,” Guo wrote in the WhatsApp chat that originally appeared in Chinese. “The web version has been launched, and the mobile version is also being submitted. After all the changes are made, Jason should respond to this issue. An announcement to explain.”

In a comment to Mother Jones, Miller said that Guo was just “one of many” people who offered him advice over the Rogan debacle. “I received suggestions from several dozen people that day, ranging from policy guidance to chewing me out,” Miller said. “Pointing out that we need to better communicate with some of our high-profile users isn’t exactly inside baseball.”

Mother Jones further alleged that legal documents leaked to them show an even closer connection between Miller, Guo and GETTR:

The social media app has said it is headquartered at 3 Columbus Circle in New York, but according to the document, the paychecks for GETTR employees bear a different address: 162 East 64th Street, an Upper East Side building that houses Guo’s commercial and nonprofit ventures.

National File was one of the first news outlets to publicly connect Guo and GETTR, highlighting that GETTR had received around 1,200 strange reviews from Chinese linked accounts, many mentioning Guo’s and Steve Bannon’s organization, known as the New Federal State of China.

The group positions itself as a government-in-waiting, ready to take over China after the fall of the CCP. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the address of the “Himalaya Embassy” of the New Federal State of China is also 162 East 64th Street.

In August last year, a team from the Stanford Internet Observatory and Cyber Policy Center analyzed the site. According to this analysis, the parties responsible for creating and promoting GETTR “are not transparent,” because, “while Miller has distanced Gettr from Miles Guo, the app appears to still be developed by a Guo-linked development team.”

About the Author:


Jack Hadfield is a conservative and patriot from the UK, and the director and presenter of “Destination Dover: Migrants in the Channel.” His work has appeared in such sites as Breitbart, The Political Insider, and Politicalite. You can follow him on Facebook @JackHadfield1996, on Twitter @JackHadders, on Gab @JH, or on Telegram @JackHadders. Tips can be sent securely to [email protected].

National File is committed to ensuring your voice can and will be heard. To keep your speech free, we are switching our commenting platform to Insticator. Don’t worry! All you have to do is create a commenting account with Insticator. We will be transferring previous comments to our new site, and then you will be able to link your past comments to your new Insticator account. If you have any feedback or questions about your Insticator commenting account, please email them at: [email protected]

Continue Reading

Trending